For anyone planning to travel to Australia we hope this snapshot of our time is useful in your planning.
Days in Australia: 9
Money Spent (USD for 2 people): $2042
Accommodation = $739
Food = $500
Alcohol = $160
Activities = $36
Transportation = $222 (flight from Melbourne to Sydney was paid with Chase points $0)
Misc = $5
Visas = $57
Splurge = $316 (night out in Melbourne $160, night out in Sydney $156)
Our #1 Recommendation…
Go to Melbourne
Our Top 5 Lists...
- Bondi Beach
- Watson Bay Hotel for cocktails
- Ferry from Watson Bay to Circular Quay at sunset
- Newtown Bar Scene King Street
- Coastal Highway drive between Sydney and Wollongong
In retrospect we would have…
- Not planned our days in Sydney during Easter weekend.
- Not bought breakfast food to cook and enjoyed more brunches in Melbourne
- Skipped the Crown Casino and spent a night out in Fitzroy
- Given Bondi Beach more time
- Bought Opal pass for public transportation as soon as we got to Sydney.
- See more of Australia, particularly the great barrier reef. We would have if we were not moving there later this year.
Suggested 1 week itinerary
4 nights Melbourne > 3 nights Sydney
Suggested 2 week itinerary
6 nights in Melbourne > 4 nights in Sydney (come visit us in Wollongong) > 4 nights in Whitsunday (or any place to see the great barrier reef)
Suggested 3 week itinerary
6 nights in Melbourne > 5 nights in Sydney (come visit us in Wollongong) > 3 nights visiting the Outback > 3 nights Brisbane/Byron Bay > 4 nights in Whitsunday (or any place to see the great barrier reef)